Tuesday, January 15, 2013

Even the poo is frozen!

I'm thinking Southern California might be changing... Climate, pollution, re alignment or perhaps just a freaky cold front that won't move on, I don't know. I do know that we are colder than some places on the east coast and where winter is normally chilly where I live, it's downright crazy cold right now.

I've had to put a heat lamp back in coop for my girls at night and our fireplace is working overtime. I am very thankful for the abundance of wood from a fallen tree.  With night time temps hovering at 20 degrees and day time highs in the 40's (these averages are about 8 to 10 degrees colder than usual) are seriously kicking my butt.

I can't seem to get warm and lunchtime at the barn in the cold wind is just not the same as those lazy lingering mild weather lunches we're used to. I am busting out serious moves so I can go back inside. Although you know I love my Chancie time, hot or cold.
Dixie chick 

Okay, so this morning I bundled up and headed outside to do my chores and like the last few mornings everything was frozen. Any standing water, puddles, hoses, the chickens water, frozen. My garden and the fruit orchard are getting hit hard with frost and my fingers and toes are numb.  Even the poo is frozen!  Seriously, chicken, horse and dog poo all frozen, did you know it could freeze? I didn't and who knew frozen poo makes for an easy clean up. I love this country life of ours and how I am always learning something new.

I also love seasons or maybe I love the idea of seasons as of right now I'm not sure which. I always say I wish we had more weather. Well this is the first real cold I've had to get out and work in and I'm finding out quickly that it may only be when I'm inside by the fire with a cup of hot tea and the brown dog by my feet that I really like the "more weather" part of a season.

I know some of you live where it's really really cold. Stay warm and I apologize I don't mean to whine in wine country I know it could be worse here.  

Thank you to everyone who entered the give-a-way last week. Monkey picked a number and the winner of the scarf is........

Kar from Kar's down home bliss

Congratulations Kar, please email me your address and I'll send it out right away.

10 comments:

  1. We are much colder than usual here in KY. Not fun and our wood stove is working overtime much like your fireplace!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love wood stoves and wish we had one here. Stay warm friend. I am trying to enjoy this weather, before we know it will be summertime.

      Delete
  2. Oh yes, I know all about frozen chicken poo! I always clean off the roosts after I let the chickens out for the day, and lately the poo has been frozen to the boards! I'll have to wait for it to thaw out. So gross!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Oh my gosh I know! The boards are nasty, eww. I'm sending warm thoughts your way :)

      Delete
  3. Thanks so much Jen! Can't wait to get the scarf. :)

    Very chilly here also. Most times we have a quick few days of really cold stuff and then it's gone. Not this time. Well over 2 weeks now. We haven't been above 25 for the high here for quite some time. Oh well, I'll just hibernate inside where it's warm.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. At least you have a fun craft room indoors :). Stay warm friend and check your mail in a couple days, i dropped it off today.

      Delete
  4. Unlike the rest of you it has been unseasonably warm here and we are looking at our 5th day in a row flirty with 80 degrees. The oak trees are starting to shed their leaves with the new growth right behind them (this is normally something that happens in late March). There is a cold front coming in though which will be a shock to everything thinking it is spring here in Charleston!

    On the poo front, it does make it easier to clean up!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hi Colleen! Oh my it does sound nice over there. Those poor trees though, it sound like they'll be shocked. The weather is crazy everywhere and now it seems we are expecting a 20 degree bump in the next couple days. I'm looking forward to thawing out a bit. Lets just hope there's no earthquake with the big change in temps! Thanks for commenting :)

      Delete