Wednesday, October 8, 2014

A Glimpse of Fall And Some Catch Up...

The focus is off on this image but I wanted to share anyways. This was my grandpa's measuring cup and one of my favorites. Though he had a rough life I think he found pieces of peace in the kitchen. He was a good cook and I love that I have this family treasure. I always think and feel close to my grandpa when I'm busting out my own moves in the kitchen. What a gift this little cup is.  
Being a wrecking ball is hard work... Ms. Daisy Mayhem has severe separation anxiety. Have you had an animal suffer this? We are making great progress on potty training and manners but if she cannot see or hear me things quickly go sideways.

I have been working on crate training her in hopes of finding a place where she can feel safe and cozy when I have to run to town...What a total disaster!  She has broken through 2 of them. She literally breaks the metal at the weld joints and squeezes her body through an incredibly small opening. We have averted disaster as she has not gotten herself hung up but the crate thing is simply not working. I get home to find my stuff all over the place and her in total freak out mode.  I cannot leave her outside in this hot weather or take her everywhere with me. Any suggestion are welcome.
Last week our temps dropped and we had a day of fall like weather before another heat wave set in.  I was so excited that I baked, made soup, power cleaned the house and started packing.  The only thing I wasn't able to squeeze in was some knitting time.
Fergie the magic machine (aka tractor) broke down and we lost a whole week of work at the lot but she's fixed now and we are hopeful we can run a large fence line this coming weekend. My parents and Justin are coming down to lend some helping hands so we can make up some ground.  I'm looking forward to seeing everyone and checking some stuff off the "to do" list at the same time.

I'm thankful for the weekly phone conversations with my son but I haven't hugged him or looked into his eyes since July, way to long to be sure everything in his life is good.  Phone calls are great but in person check in's are always way more awesome and necessary for this mama.

Our move date is coming fast and there really is so much that must be done.  Truth be told I've been freaking out a bit. I know all will be amazing and I'm trying to lift up my stress and let it go but it's hard and I haven't done such a hot job with it. I am soaking in all these moment, taking the good with the bad and learning so much about expectations, adjustments and patience.  I mean after all Gods timing IS perfect why fight it.

Weather forecast says cooler days are coming our way, great news for working outdoors and perhaps I can pick up those knitting needles soon.

Hoping all is well in your hood,
Jen

7 comments:

  1. Oh, Daisy :-( So sorry to hear she's got the anxiety problem. I've got no words of wisdom, just sympathy. Our first dog hated thunderstorms so badly he would bust through screens and start running. We would find him miles from the house.

    Good luck with your family work weekend - hope the weather cooperates!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Years ago we had a schnauzer with separation anxiety. She'd tear up all the blinds trying to find us. Very frustrating. Hope you get it worked out. Love the shot of the old measuring cup. So special.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i'd suggest speaking with your vet about her anxiety trouble since it seem severe. perhaps there's a medication you can give her that would not totally rob her of personality. i don't have any experience with it, sorry.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Just take a deep breath. All will be good with all that great help you will have. : )

    ReplyDelete
  5. Jen,

    My Mom has measuring cups just like yours. I don't know where they came from. Knowing my Mom it's either a family heirloom or something she picked up at a rummage sale.

    My Sister's dog has separation anxiety, but nothing like your going through. Good luck working through this. Trust comes in small steps from those who have been hurt.

    I understand the phone vs. face to face conversations. I feel the same towards my Mom and Sister.

    Good Luck with your building and fencing projects. Enjoy the time you have with your family.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Like Texwisgirl, I would suggest a trip to the vet, since this case sounds so severe. Or, you could research some natural/herbal remedies to help her calm down.

    ReplyDelete
  7. Oh , that does not sound good! We had a dog like that once but she was ok outside in the garden when we had to go out. Otherwise she would destroy the whole house. Only time , love and patience might help. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete