"I only went out for a walk and finally concluded to stay out till sundown,
for going out, I found, was really going in" ~John Muir
Duke is blind?!! Our evening chores last night were normal, we played ball and he ran around like crazy while I fed and filled waters, he was fine. After dinner and coming inside about an hour and half later I noticed his pupil were huge and he was scared. Monkey and I shined a flashlight into his eyes didn't get a reaction, nothing. He was jello legged and hesitant to walk, choosing to crawl towards my voice instead. He can't see a thing...
This morning his vision is not any better. He did go out with me for morning chores but stuck close to Jack and me, actually bumping into us and everything. His pupils are still gigantic but appear they may be slightly smaller as I type this. Vet opens at 8 and i'll be calling.
Have you ever had an animal suddenly go blind?
I spoke with a good friend and our Vet who helped me piece it together. I wormed Chancie yesterday with Ivermectin and Duke obviously ate some. Either via poo or a drop on the ground. Ivermectin is extremely toxic for dogs and causes immediate or sudden blindness. Thankfully it is temporary and he will be back to running the trails within a week. I'm feeling incredibly grateful and relieved! Thank you God...
For those who use Ivermectin for horses or chickens, please keep this in mind next time you worm. I am pretty sure he was exposed via droppings so even though it passes through the horses system it is still potent enough to cause this reaction.