Thursday, May 24, 2012

a long weekend to bust a move and remember


I am ready to kick off the long weekend, anxious to spend three days with my hands in the dirt while making significant progress on my "to do" list all while soaking up some sunshine and visiting with friends and family at the end of the day both Saturday and Sunday.
 
First up on the list is to expand the coop. It's a priority since i haven't been able to have the girls out as much as i hoped. The coop we built meets the per feet requirement but this week they've begun pecking at each other and i think they are a bit stressed out so were doubling the size and adding some "stuff" for them to do in case they are board.  This is such a bad habit, Goldie has all but two of her tail feathers left they've pecked them out this week and drew a bit of blood from Lucy yesterday just above her tail feathers . I am so bummed for them and am determined to get the pecking under control quickly.

Dixie and Betty are in the egg groove and are laying daily. The last seven days they've gifted me with 14 eggs, enough for a nice scramble with my sister and her family Sunday morning.

We'll be visiting a pick your own blueberry patch and the strawberry farmer down the road. I'll be using his berries to make my jam while my plants try to grow. The roots i planted a few weeks ago are sadly not doing very much and the plants that are growing are being eaten by the squirrel or squirrels that are visiting my garden at night which brings up the next item on my list..... get rid of the squirrels they have become enemy number 1 and must go! Not sure but i think they are eating my zucchini and growing tomatoes too or maybe it's the huge crows or hawks...

Which brings me back to the girls and why they can only be out of the coop while I'm outside with them. I sure hope doubling their space will settle them down, not sure what else would have set of the aggressiveness towards each other this week.

Gardening, riding, building and spending time at home, yep I'm ready for the weekend.

 
 "Let every nation know, whether it wishes us well or ill, that we shall pay any price, bear any burden, meet any hardship, support any friend, oppose any foe to assure the survival and the success of liberty." - John F. Kennedy

 I hope you have a wonderful holiday weekend that's filled with sunshine, love and a bit of thankfulness for those who gave us and ensure the freedom we enjoy everyday. 

2 comments:

  1. We are looking forward to a hot weekend here! Enjoy yours!

    ReplyDelete
  2. It sounds like you have a awesome weekend ahead of you!
    Cant wait to hear about it next week:)

    ReplyDelete